Thursday, November 22, 2007


Thoughts on Hebrews

Hebrews Chapter 3

I am hoping these blogs find you well. This was born out of my personal thoughts and study on these chapters. So what I hope is that you actually read the chapters along with this blog.

"Jesus has been found worthy of greater honor then Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honor then the house itself."
Hebrews 3:3


The greatest thing about the book of Hebrews is how the author unpacks the gospel and give so much praise and reverence in defneding the power and greatness of God and Jesus Christ. It really is something that brings me into a greater understanding of how great our God is, as well as our Redeemer.

On to my thoughts on this chapter:

All of us, jew and gentile alike, should fix our eyes on Jesus. Moses was faithful, just like many others in the faith. But he,like the many, were faithful as servents. Christ, who is God,is faithful as a son. Therefore, having and deserving greater honor.

Disobedience and unbelief will keep us from the promises of our one true living God. Just like Israel under Moses, who heard God's promise concerning Canaan, they refused to believe it. This act is described as rebellion(v.16), sin(v.17) and disobedience(v.18). The consequence of this action? God,in His anger, closed the doors of Canaan in the face of that whole generation of Israelites (Nu 14:21-35)

Why do we question the things of God? Obviously here is an example of a people who hear God's promise, see miricles,signs and wonders. Yet they refuse to believe and complain the whole entire time. After awhile God is so angered, and finished with them, that he closes the door on the promise He made and gave them over to themselves.

When I concentrate on the things I don't see God doing it 1) shows my disbelief. Why don't I believe that God want's what's good for me?(Ro 8:28). 2) shows my disobedience. When I think God ISN'T doing what He promised, I tend to take over and go about things how I see fit. And 3) is a subtle form of idolitry. When I focus on what God isn't doing I refuse to give Him thanks for what He has and is doing. Therefore I am concentrating on where I precieve God isn't.

I need to rest and be confident in God and His promises and most certainly the gospel. I don't know my direction, path and well being more then my God and Creator!

Untill next time.

"Praise your name oh Lord. Praise you name higher than the heavens and the earth, which are nothing but a speck in your righeous and gracious hand."

No comments: